My husband and I had the privilege of seeing Brene Brown in the flesh in Nashville on Sept 26th and she was AMAZING! I've given countless dollars to two therapists and I have to say Brene tops them all! Where are others like her? My husband says combine her with Beth Moore and we'd have a revolution on our hands! Her research and insights are brilliant. There is power in her definitions! The messages I walked away with include:
- Charles Feltman's definition of trust: "choosing to risk making something you value vulnerable to another person's actions"
- "True belonging only happens when we present our authentic, imperfect selves to the world, our sense of belonging can never be greater than our level of self acceptance"
- "Art has the power to render sorrow beautiful, make loneliness a shared experience, and transform despair into hope"
- "In 1980 approximately 20% of Americans reported feeling lonely. Today it's more than double that percentage
- "Pain that is denied or ignored becomes fear or hate. Anger that is never transformed becomes resentment and bitterness"
- "Belonging is being accepted for you. Fitting in is being accepted for being like everyone else"
- "Stop walking through the world looking for confirmation that you don't belong; you will always find it"