Tuesday, August 26, 2008

1st Day of 1st Grade...




The BIG day arrived! We've entered 1st grade public elementary school...All in all I think it was a good day. Ethan talked my ear off for an hour after walking home. The highlights for him were P.E., playing on some sort of play equipment they brought in just for the day, having the responsibility to 'care' for the lunch boxes when necessary and asking his desk neighbor (Jack) to be his friend and that he accepted :)
The worst part of the day happened at recess...It seemed he looked around and could no longer see his class or teacher. Thankfully a Kindergarten teacher saw him in tears and took him by the hand back to his class. Not something I want to hear about...my critical self couldn't help but wonder why Ms. Hubbs didn't assign buddies to everyone?? And doesn't she remember that this is all new to him and should be treating him with extra care? (a little tongue and cheek on that last one) Lots of boys in the class - 16 out of 22. So...I'm looking forward to getting to know Ms. Hubbs along with the other kids in his class. Some PTO volunteering will be in my future...
A couple of highlights for me today...First, Ethan just seemed like he was blindly ready for it all, so mature. Second, it occurred to me that my faith will be stretched and challenged far more than if I were homeschooling in the comforts of our four walls. I still and will always recognize the advantages/perks of homeschooling but this is not one. It's that releasing and trusting my child to others that will draw me closer to God in providing me the needed comfort and peace. I've already been on my knees more in prayer and it's only the first day! Lastly, Ethan came out of his classroom with a smile...

No comments: